Monday, December 6, 2010

The Great American Nightmare

Only taking one studio class this semester has been a much needed breath of fresh air since I have been taking multiple studios since I began as a New Media major. I believe that it gave me more time to focus on individual projects and they seem to turn out more finished than many of the projects I've done in the past. For "The Great American Nightmare," which is my final project for Design II this semester, our goal was to demonstrate "metamorphosis" in a non-literal way. I chose to show the metamorphosis of the American Dream turning into the American Nightmare through a series of animations created with Adobe Flash.

By telling the narrative of a man losing his job from the recession and the sacrifices he and his family have to make, I am criticizing the government (at all levels) and how their inaction leads to terrible outcomes for american families. I've seen first hand the effects the recession has on people close to me and it can be a very tense and emotional time for everyone - especially for the children who don't know any better and can't understand the situation. The loss of a family car or even moving to a smaller home can be manageable, but the inability to provide food, clothing or even some simple Christmas presents for their family can really cause people to despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment