Sunday, December 5, 2010

Final





This work is a part of something that has been a long time coming. The first half of the semester was extremely productive in my exploration in painting. I started working on the idea or, rather question, “what does it mean to experience fish?” This quickly evolved to include a number of different ways in which we do so, but all hinging on a general consensus that we first need to catch a fish to experience it. However as the semester came to the midpoint I changed directions. Lucky, I return to this question for further exploration.


For the second half of the semester I looked into layers that are created by the mind. In particular, I considered landscapes. I was using plexi-glass sheets and layering them and only painting on corresponding layer. Eventually I married the idea of the first half of the semester with the technique of the second half.


For the final piece of my layered plexi-glass paintings I have goldfish in layer frames. There are four layers of plexi with goldfish on corresponding sheets. This was the result of trying to communicate spatial relationships that object have to each other in a series of plains.

As the work progressed it was initially about landscape layering only. Then slowly it progressed into layering in landscape combined with the spatial relationships of layering within an object. Then lastly, this fish piece which is more about the individual objects and their spatial relationships. It was also an addition to the first half of the semester.


Considering the first half of the semester was an exploration of “what does it mean to experience fish,” this piece worked its way in rather nicely. Before moving forward in the second half of the semester I needed to preciously consider my next move. The most valuable learning moment of the semester was not of new medium or an innovative subject but rather from the desire to revisit something that I felt was concluded. The ability to go back into a segment of work that I deemed had run its course lead to the conclusion that perhaps I have jumped the gun. There is value in revisiting past works and especially with fresh eyes. This makes me consider: where have I abandoned work too earlier before? It also is enticing to revisit past works and see where I can now take them. Perhaps there is no merit to working on a series for as long as I can within a short period of time, but rather have a continuum. There is no need to commit to a conclusion and all work should be viewed as open-ended.


This semester I have seen a “John Singer Sergeant: portraits in Praise of Women”, the FAX show, “Down to Science,” and “Empire Waists, Bustles & Lace: A Century of New York Fashion.” I think the most inspiring though was the “Water Mark: Michele Harvey & Glimmerglass.” Michele Harvey’s landscape paintings are what kick-started my layered paintings. Her paintings may be on canvas but she showed heavily how landscapes are broken down by the atmosphere into layers. It seemed all the better to consider how the mind does this and creates spatial relationships itself within a frame. Michele Harvey’s paintings are showing at the Fenimore Art Museum. She typical works in a triptych format with paths and open landscapes. The landscapes tend to be misted and confronted by bold hard lines of material objects.


The best critique moment for this semester come from the first critique in my fibers class. It was a simple wall quilt but as it was discussed, a student was able to see its underlining characteristics and did not take it to be a literal piece.


Over the semester, art has become an increasingly intellectual activity. I hope this trend continues into the next semester and I am considering applying for the BFA. This will hopefully allow time to amplify my work and concrete my view of art as a meditation rather than a product.

1 comment:

  1. Dear John-
    I'm glad you enjoyed my show at the Fenimore Art Museum. Thank you for your kind comments.
    Much good luck with your art. It's the challenge of a lifetime. Sincerely, Michele Harvey

    ReplyDelete