Monday, December 6, 2010

Final Paper


Although I am not an art major of any kind, my media communications courses allowed me to experiment with advertising, as displayed with this piece that I did in high school. It was a project on emphasis, using the larger image to attract the viewer’s attention first when the viewer flipped to that particular page in a magazine. Since high school, I have been unable to do any work similar in nature to this one because I was preoccupied with general education courses my first two years at Penn State and transferring to SUNY Cortland only extended that dull period. I hope to encounter more opportunities in the upcoming semester because I’m finally enrolled in courses that pertain to my major.
The best learning moment of the semester, for me, occurred directly after the Raquette Lake trip. I had finally realized exactly what I wanted to do with the rest of my academic career through my experiences over the weekend. It was a combination of realizing my interests and viewing how other students approached their artistic interests and it changed my perspective on how I want to spend the rest of my life.
The shows I attended included “Girl” and “Shared Experience: The Steven Barbash Collection”, the latter being the more profound for me. I found his diverse collection very comforting in a way that I don’t normally feel when I visit museums and the like. His attitude towards his pieces was strangely paternal and I enjoyed his humor, specifically when his wife had to correct him on a date and he just laughed it off. I believe the work was not chosen by him, but instead, they chose him, for they knew the passion he possessed for fine art.
The best critique I ever received was on the graduation programs I designed in my junior year of high school. I was told they were the best the area’s technical schools had ever seen but I should’ve spent a bit more time on detail because I spelled several things wrong but it was too late to correct these errors as I had already printed out 600 copies. This taught me to never take the power of detail for granted because a great work can be minimized to nothing if something as ugly as a spelling error is present. However, the positive part of the critique was inspiring enough to force me to do the programs again the next year, this time being very careful with detail. My perspective has changed a great deal since the Raquette Lake trip. I saw how passionate people were about their art and the way it influences them. Art isn’t merely expression, it is release and friendship and impulse and structure. These things may not describe everyone’s views but I witnessed all these and more as my fellow students were presenting their projects.
For next semester, I hope to regain my opportunity to experiment with advertising, seeing as it is my concentration in the communications field, and allow for more time to appreciate the art that I encounter. Time management seems to be a huge issue for me at the moment. An issue which I hope to correct by the time the spring semester rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment