Sunday, December 5, 2010

Final Paper


This semester, I have really surprised myself. I transferred to SUNY Cortland from Buffalo State College. My major was Fashion Design, and I didn't have a passion for it anymore. I knew that I loved designing, but I realized that a career in fashion design would not be as practical as media design. I am coming into New Media Design with no previous experience, except for art classes in high school. However, I have more of a creative mind than scientific, so I knew design was right for me. I have improved my drawing and craftsmanship skills immensely, and am proud of what I have accomplished so far.
The image below is my favorite piece that I have constructed in my design class. Before this project, we did previous work using four squares inside of each thumbnail. We had to represent playful, order, increase, bold, and congested, each in 25 different thumbnails. Once we completed this task, we needed to pick five of our most potential squares from each category, for a bigger composition containing 25 squares. We needed to think of a main theme between our different squares that would unify our new composition. For my piece, I chose a main theme of depth. I played with the size of the squares in each thumbnail to emphasize depth and make it look like the squares were popping out from the background. My next step was to make a border around each thumbnail using the contrasting color. Where there was white, the border was black, and vise versa. My last step was to matte my piece on a black background, in order to make that pop out from the black background. I really enjoyed this project, and spent a lot of time constructing it. Over all my design class has been very inspiring. I have learned more than I have learned in any class before. I am genuinely interested in the concepts of design and am excited to learn more.
I have seen a few shows at the gallery this semester. I saw "Shared Experience, the Steven Barbash Collection," the Fax show, and "Girl". I enjoyed Steven Barbash's talk about his collection. He was very inspiring and funny. He explained that a lot of the work in his collection is done by friends of his from school. I found this to be very inspiring, realizing that we may all be able to see each other's work in the future. We may also be able to collect each others' work and get inspired by each other. The Fax show was different than most shows in the gallery. It was pretty confusing to me, and I wasn't sure what the purpose was. I noticed that each piece was different from the next, and couldn't figure out the over all theme. Then I realized that that was the point of the show. It was meant to make people think about communication and what that could mean. It was also emphasizing the fact that the Fax machine is becoming outdated, and information may be lost. This was an interesting learning experience. "Girl" was also unique compared to other shows I have seen before. Each piece was unique in it's own way, but they all emphasized what it meant to be a girl. It was interesting to see all of the aspects and viewpoints about being a girl.
I have come to realize that critiques can be a very helpful learning experience. My classmates have given both facts and opinions about my work that helped me to realize what I did right, and what I could have done better. Classmates are a great resource. The more viewpoints you receive on your ideas and your work, the more you learn just how much you can really do to accomplish your best work.
I have even more appreciation for art than I did before. Now that I understand main concepts about design and drawing, I have the ability to look at a composition and really understand why it works and why it doesn't. I would like to start attending more shows at different art galleries in my free time to expand my learning and appreciation for art.
My goals for next semester are to keep my learning momentum going, and to stay inspired. I would like to continue to improve my design and drawing skills. I hope to keep working hard towards a good GPA. I have always been a hard worker, and I strive to do my best in every class.

No comments:

Post a Comment